Sign Up for the Latest News
Apply For Assistance

The Actors’ Fund of Canada provides short-term financial assistance to members of the Canadian entertainment industry who have encountered an unforeseeable emergency. All professionals working in theatre, film, television, music and dance are eligible to apply to the Fund.

You are eligible to apply if you have:

-earned more than half your income in the Canadian entertainment industry over the past 3 years
-earned the majority of your income from the Canadian entertainment industry, if you are over 65
-experienced an unforeseeable emergency that has led to a financial crisis
-made reasonable efforts to find other means of income or support

Download the application form here

The completed form and supporting documents may be scanned and emailed to, faxed to 416.975.0306, or mailed to: Actors’ Fund of Canada, 1000 Yonge Street, Suite 301, Toronto, Ontario, M4W2K2

Questions about applying? Problems with the application process?
Please call the office at 1.877.399.8392 or 416.975.0304, or email us at

When can the Actors’ Fund provide help?

The Actors’ Fund can provide assistance with costs of necessities to help you maintain your health, housing, or ability to work on a short-term basis (usually one month). If assistance is approved, we will make cheques out directly to your creditors.

The Fund is not intended to address need created by unemployment, ongoing debt, or long-term or recurring situations. It is expected that applicants to the Fund will make all reasonable efforts to seek other resources, such as looking for work outside the entertainment industry, applying for emergency aid or relief programs through their union or guild, seeking financial counseling, and applying for government benefits.

What can I ask for?

Common requests include:
Rent or mortgage
Grocery costs
Transportation costs
Medical costs
Emergency dental costs
Utility bills
Dues (maximum of one year’s worth of dues; no initiation fees)
Phone and internet (maximum of $150.00 for both)
Childcare expenses
Emergency relocation, moving, or travel costs

The Actors’ Fund cannot assist with:

Life insurance payments
Income tax payments
Credit card or loan payments
Legal fees
Education or business costs
Cable TV
Agent fees and photos
Union initiation fees

The Fund cannot generally help with costs that have been unpaid for a very long time, or with costs that will not be due for several months.

If you are not sure whether the Fund can help with the items you need, please call our office or email us for more information.

What documents should I attach?


If you have a medical emergency:
Doctor’s note stating the nature of your illness or injury, the date it started, and about how long you will be unable to work.

If you have a dental emergency:
Treatment plan or estimate with itemized costs.

Work history or résumé

All applications should include a work history (usually used by technicians and craftspeople) or a resume (usually used by performers and creators).

  • Work history: call your union office to request that they send a copy directly to our office, or include a copy with your application. If your union office does not keep work histories on file, you may need to contact your payroll company.
  • Résumé: include a copy with your application. You do not need to include a headshot.

Proof of costs

You will also need to include documentation of the type and amount of costs you are requesting assistance with. If you have any questions or concerns about finding or submitting these documents, please call our office or email

What kind of documents should I submit to prove my costs?

Previous rent cheque
Eviction notice
Letter from landlord/person you sublet from. Should state your name, their name (or company that rent is to be paid to), address of rented property and the amount of rent you pay per month.

Mortgage agreement showing amount and dates of payments
Bank statement showing automatic withdrawal of mortgage. If bank statement does not show your name, you must also include a void cheque to link your name to the account number on the statement.

Utilities, phone/internet bills, health/car/home insurance, car payment:
Copy of outstanding bill
Screenshot of your account balance on company’s website. Must also show your name.
Bank statement showing automatic withdrawal. If bank statement does not show your name, you must also include a void cheque to link your name to the account number on the statement.
Agreement showing your name, the company’s name, and the dates and amount of each payment.

Food, Transit and Fuel:
No documentation needed.

Copy of a recent dues notice
Ask your union to send us a copy of the notice OR ask your union to confirm the amount that you owe by contacting us directly.

Medical Expenses:
Copy of outstanding invoice
Treatment plan with estimated costs

Emergency Dental Expenses:
Treatment plan with estimated costs from your dentist’s office
If you cannot afford to see a dentist to get a treatment plan, please contact us.

Other Expenses:
For other expenses, you will need to submit a bill, invoice, or payment agreement that clearly shows the amount that you owe, what it is you owe for, and the date of purchase or time period you owe for.

Next steps

You can fax copies of these documents along with your application form, or scan and email them to us at You can also send in screenshots of images such as online banking windows, utility or phone company bills, etc. Learn how to take a screenshot here.

If assistance is approved, the Actors’ Fund will provide you with cheques made out directly to your creditors.

The Actors’ Fund may ask you to provide proof of payments after you make them by submitting receipts or copies of future bills showing payments made. Please document your payments wherever possible.

Please Note: You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer in order to view the application form. Acrobat Reader is freely available for download here.